hirewesternu VIRTUAL Career Fair
Connecting employers with YOU, the Western students they want to meet and hire. Meet employers who are working on the challenges that interest you most!
Open to ALL programs, academic levels, and alumni.
Proudly sponsored by:
Identify the challenges that interest you most. Go to SparkPath, click SIGN UP, create a STUDENT account using the code WesternU
Explore below to find employers working on your top challenges and create a target list for the fair.
ATTEND THE VIRTUAL FAIR
Chat 1:1 with employers to learn about opportunities. Review conversation starters.
You now have a list of employers who are working, in some way, on the challenges that interest you most. The recruiters at the VIRTUAL Career Fair can help you explore these challenges in more detail and help you better understand how to best prepare for work in these fields. Consider asking the following:
- I've read that your company is working on [INSERT CHALLENGE]. Can you tell me more about what this looks like?
- How do the roles you're hiring for contribute to solving the challenges you're working on?
- How have the challenges your company is working on changed over time? Do you think they will continue to evolve in the future?
- What are a few important things you've learned from working in this field/on these challenges?
- What are some skills/important things you wish you'd known when you were starting out?
- What skills, competencies, or experiences are beneficial for a candidate to have?
- What would you recommend I be doing now to prepare for a career in this field/to work on this challenge?
Review the list of participating organizations above; new attendees are added regularly.
Visit the organizations’ websites to gain an understanding of who they are and what they do. Prepare a list of questions to show what you’ve learned about the company and to find out more.
Prioritize a list of organizations to connect with.
Develop and practice your Elevator Pitch.
Review the other ways to prepare.
AT THE FAIR
Greet recruiters with a smile, introduce yourself using your Elevator Pitch.
Listen attentively to the company representatives when they are talking to you.
Ask about the challenges they are working on, trends in their field, advice on how to prepare for roles within their company, and how they stay current in their field.
Ask for the representative's email address so that you may keep in touch. Write a brief note to remind yourself of the conversation.